SXSW Interactive 2014
Bigger than Bieber: A History of Epic Rap Battles
Mozart may never have gone head-to-head with Skrillex on the Billboard charts, and Darth Vader couldn’t have challenged Hitler to a duel in this galaxy, but in the YouTube video series “Epic Rap Battles of History” (ERB), any match-up is possible. Putting historical or pop culture figures against each other in the ever-popular rap battle format, ERB is one of the most popular series on YouTube - blending comedy, history, music and performance.
In this panel, ERB creators Peter Shukoff (aka Nice Peter) and Lloyd Ahlquist (aka EpicLLOYD) will discuss how they created one of the most successful YouTube video formats of all time, explain the major part their audience plays in both their content creation and success, and share what went in to some of their favorite battles. Attendees will find out what’s next for ERB, and the work that goes into building and sustaining a loyal fan base of millions of viewers.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- How do Nice Peter and EpicLloyd engage with their passionate audience?
- How much research goes into each episode of ERB?
- What happens in the 2 weeks from initial concept to final upload?
- What did the road to success look like for Nice Peter and EpicLLOYD?
- Who can we expect to see battling it out in the future?
Yvonne Villanueva, Executive Assistant, Brew PR