SXSW Interactive 2014
The Open Source Revolution: From Blogs to Homes
From WordPress themes to all aspects of home and office life, the open source movement is bringing new knowledge and increased collaboration to life for both consumers and developers – and the movement is just beginning. It has become so pervasive that most consumers are unaware of its impact on their everyday lives. By adopting an open-source philosophy, we have the opportunity to make the world smarter, together.
This panel will bring together Matt Mullenweg, co-founder of WordPress & founder of Automattic; Alex Hawkinson, founder & CEO of the open platform SmartThings; & Jason Johnson, co-founder & CEO of BLE-enabled smart lock August, in a discussion about the value of open source and what the future holds for the movement, led by moderator Sarah Frier of Bloomberg. The panel will explore how open source is affecting their respective industries, how quickly the movement is growing, and what the future of technology looks like given the open source revolution that’s underway.
Share this idea
- If everyone adopted an open source philosophy, how would it redesign the Internet in the next 10 years?
- Are the APIs you’ve developed being used in the way you anticipated? If not, what has surprised you?
- What are some of the coolest technologies that have come out of the open source community and how will they impact the future of this space?
- How do you see companies connecting to one another? How do the implications differ when connecting hardware devices to one another versus integrating software?
- 5. How does security factor into the open source revolution? What measures are in place, or need to be in place, to ensure that collaborations are securely and effectively instituted, monitored and utilized?
Caitlyn Carpanzano, Senior Account Director, Brew PR