SXSW Interactive 2014
Virtual Immersion: Learn Any Language Anywhere
So many of us have done poorly in languages at school and just accepted that we don't have the "language gene", moving on with our monolingual lives. We would love to speak one, but we think that moving to the country is the only solution, and we simply can't make that change to our life right now.
Benny Lewis, a polyglot who can speak 12 languages & sign ASL, wants to debunk this myth because he himself only spoke English at age 21, and did poorly in languages at school. Now he lives his life entirely through other languages. His most recent language was to learn Egyptian Arabic in the middle of Brazil, to really prove that it's about your ATTITUDE, not your latitude or longitude.
In this talk, Benny shares many actionable language hacks, ways to consistently practice a language without traveling, how to get fluent as quickly as possible, the apps, online tools, and free courses that you can use from home & encouraging words for those of you who want to learn a language as an adult.
Share this idea
- What apps and free online resources can I use?
- Does language talent REALLY matter?
- What specific steps can a busy person who can't travel take to ensure they will learn a language?
- What if I can't afford hundreds or thousands of dollars for language learning software, plane tickets to foreign countries, or expensive courses? Can you genuinely learn a language for free or very cheap?
- What if my memory is terrible for learning vocabulary? What kind of mnemonics and memory tricks are useful for language learning?
- Benny Lewis, CEO, Fluent in 3 months
Benny Lewis, CEO, Fluent in 3 months