SXSW Music 2014
Music Agency of Record
In the last couple of years, something changed (so in the context of the 100 year old music and ad industries, this is very new).
Brands started to appoint Music Agencies to their rosters to work alongside all the other marketing and ad agencies already in the mix.
What does a music agency do and why did Coke, why do Nestle and how did Unilever come to demand their services? How did the ad agencies lose leadership in the music/brand space?
More to the point, what does all this mean for the music industry? Is it a good thing - does it signal more value and a brighter future? Or does it mean another middle-man to squeeze the artists?
We'd like to discuss the growth of the specialist music agency, describe the new and varying business models in operation and give some insight to a future when music is planned, bought, created and activated by specialist Music Agencies of Record.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- What is a music agency? What are its characteristics and capabilities?
- Which brands / corporations are pioneering this space; how are they operating and why are they making changes?
- What does the music industry need to be aware of? ie What changes are really taking place and what opportunities and threats are there to labels, publishers and artists?
- What's the threat (or opportunity) to ad agencies - the traditional gatekeepers to the music and brand relationship? What does it mean to have music 'decoupled' from other parts of the creative process?
- We are seeing the tip of the of the long nose of innovation in this space(!) but what will the future look like? Will more brands hire Heads of Music? How will the Music Agencies scale? Who gets rich, who gets poor - and how long before this all crystallises into an undeniable change to the fabric of the music / brand relationship. What might stop the change from gathering pace?
- Daniel Jackson, CEO, Cord Worldwide Ltd
- Richard Jankovich, Founder, B(R)ANDS Music Branding Group, Inc. and SHOPLIFTER In-Store Radio Promotion
- Eric Sheinkop, CEO/ President, Music Dealers LLC.
Daniel Jackson, CEO, Cord Worldwide Ltd