SXSW Interactive 2014
The Real Reasons Why There Are Few Blacks in Tech
You can’t innovative without diversity. Period. Yet most of the proposed solutions to increasing diversity in tech involve people of color moving to Silicon Valley (leaving their social and supports networks) or exposing black youth to coding (who then go back to techless homes and schools). So, what’s the solution? In this thought provoking presentation, learn about the very real cultural, technological, and historical barriers to increasing the number of blacks in tech and how digitalundivided is directly addressing those barriers.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- What are some of the cultural and social barriers to blacks participating in the startup community?
- Is a mass migration to Silicon Valley truly the best solution to the lack of diversity in tech?
- Where are blacks in tech located (hint: not in Mountain View)?
- What are three things the tech world can do to really create a culture of inclusion?
- Why has digitalundivided been successful in creating this diversity pipeline?
- Kathryn Finney, Managing Director, digitalundivided
Ashley Scott, Marketing Associate, digitalundivided