SXSW Interactive 2014
Cat Cash: The Economy of Internet Cat Videos
Cat videos are no longer just an entertaining distraction between emails and facebook posts; they are now an economic force. In just the past year cat video "cat-lebrities" have inked movie and book deals, inspired touring festivals and are charting out new territory on web TV. What makes cat videos different from other YouTube sensations? Feline flicks transcend language and culture and have demonstrated an unrivaled traction with audiences; with many cat video stars moving successfully from fleeting meme to established brand. This panel of experts and entrepreneurs will discuss how cat videos are making the leap from YouTube to becoming an effective and genuine vehicle for fundraising, marketing, commerce and audience engagement. This session will include cat videos.
Share this idea
- How are cat video creators profiting from and marketing their work?
- What role does sincerity and understanding your audience play when packaging viral content?
- How do you sustain an internet hit and continue to develop the brand?
- Are partnerships, and specifically selecting the right partnerships, important in achieving sustained cat video success?
- Is there a formula for Internet Cat Video success?
Scott Stulen, Director, mnartists.org, Walker Art Center