SXSW Interactive 2014
When AR Meets the OR - Robotics and AR in Surgery
As humans live longer and the global population ages and expands to 10 billion people, the world will face an unprecedented healthcare crisis. In this session, you’ll discover how robot and augmented reality assisted therapies and procedures can help address our mounting needs. We’ll trace robotics and AR in medicine from their origins to the Operating Room – at home and abroad. We'll explore technologies and companies at the forefront of surgical robotics and virtual surgery, providing real world examples that address outcomes and quality of care. We'll take a look at how advancements in telecommunications, robotics and augmented reality are enabling remote observation, diagnosis and skilled consultation. We'll also discuss the wider impacts of these disruptive, yet enabling, technologies from the perspectives of privacy, training, cost, and risk.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- When a robot makes an error, who is at fault?
- When a machine monitors the most intimate details of your body, how do you protect your privacy?
- When we restrict the best technology from remote areas because of costs what does that say about the value of human life?
- How do robots allow for rural and underdeveloped areas to access better healthcare?
- What are some of the challenges related to bringing robots into a sensitive, surgical environment?
Leigh Durst, CXO, Live Path, Strategist / Event Producer for IEEE