SXSW Music 2013
Guess What? Your Press Release Sucks!
Press releases and bios are the foundation stones of any publicity campaign. Properly conceived and executed press materials set the tone for an artist's public image and development of their brand.
These materials are often the first information writers, editors and other content producers encounter on an artist and their decision to want to learn more, hear music and so on usually hinges on the impact they make.
The process of creating them usually crystallizes the approach a publicist or artist publicizing him or herself will take in future discussions with content producers aka "the pitch."
Good press materials, properly distributed are almost a campaign in themselves and can be a great help for artists doing their own press for budgetary reasons. They are THE essential tool for publicity professionals.
A poorly put together bio or press release at best will be ineffectual and at worst create a bad first impression that might never be corrected.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- What is a press release and how is it different from a bio?
- What is the most effective format for a press release OR a bio?
- Who is the end user for these materials and what are their special needs?
- How do you adapt these materials for use on an artist website, Facebook page or other fan-oriented outlets?
- What are other uses a properly written bio can be put too?
- Howard Wuelfing, owner, Howlin' Wuelf Media
Howard Wuelfing, owner, Howlin' Wuelf Media