SXSW Interactive 2014
#siliconvalleyproblems: Can We Fix The Tech Mess?
Owen Thomas is the editor-in-chief of ReadWrite, one of the most widely respected and read technology sites on the Web. But before he got there, he spent 17 years working in the trenches of technology journalism, from the scathing, groundbreaking Suck.com to the trendsetting Red Herring to the fearsome Valleywag. In this talk, Owen will share what he's learned from taking on the Valley's reality distortion field and telling the unvarnished truth about entrepreneurs, investors, and other bubble blowers. He'll also talk about what he's learned about using the Web as a tool for journalism, crafting narratives and telling stories in ways that are uniquely suited to the online world, as well as managing some of the Web's best and most unruly editorial teams.
Share this idea
- How did Suck.com give birth to the modern blogosphere?
- Forget pageviews—what really motivates online journalists?
- What are Silicon Valley's biggest problems today?
- Why is tech a mess and what can we do to fix it?
- Who are the big players that are making it a mess and those that are doing their jobs to keep tech journalism clean?
- Owen Thomas, Editor In Chief, ReadWrite
Kristin Mitchell, Senior Manager, Comms, Say Media