SXSW Music 2014
Maximizing Royalties in the Digital Age
With organizations like BMI, ASCAP, SESAC,SoundExchange and others fiercely tracking music royalties for artists, songwriters, producers and publishers, and online music distribution growing exponentially, royalties have become a highly desirable financial asset. Investors covet them for their consistency and insulation against traditional market dynamics. What are the tools available to royalty holders that can enable them to maximize, and potentially monetize, their royalty assets without getting burned? Experts in the emerging specialties of digital tracking, valuation and copyright issues will discuss the worldwide focus on music and entertainment royalties as an asset class, and the critical information that every royalty owner, manager or advisor should have to make the best possible decisions regarding the management and potential value of those assets. The marketplace of royalties has changed, and that's good news, but knowing the options, and the pitfalls, is essential.
Share this idea
- What is the current state of the royalties marketplace, and what are the major factors that will potentially impact the future of royalties as an asset class?
- What is it about music royalties that make them so desirable among alternative investment experts, and what does this growing interest mean for the artist or rights holder?
- What are specific examples of events that can disturb historic averaging of a music catalog?
- How do the experts control for risk?
- If someone needs capital, for example, to finance a new project, pay off debts, buy a house, put a kid through school or invest in a business opportunity, how can royalty assets be intelligently utilized?
Charles Upchurch, PR Representative, The Royalty Exchange