SXSW Interactive 2013
Be Your Own Publicist: Creating Buzz on a Budget
You have a great idea, a website, a business plan and maybe even some funding. Now what? It doesn't mean anything unless people are talking, sharing and buzzing about your brand. If no one hears the proverbial tree falling in the forest, how will they know it actually exists, what happened -- and why should they care?
Nowadays, with so much competition for coverage and attention, those who put public relations as the lead horse will likely cross the finish line first. It can be the thing that connects the dots, raises your profile and attracts consumers, advertisers, partners and investors. Unfortunately, though, most start-ups typically relegate publicity to the bottom of the expenditure list. If you're bootstrapped and feel you just can't justify the cost of hiring a PR firm or an in-house communications specialist, this session will teach you how to be your own publicist -- and kick-start the drumbeat about your brand through press coverage and social media buzz.
Share this idea
Additional Supporting Materials
- How can you get buzz for your company/idea without a PR budget?
- How do you land stories without press contacts or the help of a PR pro?
- How important is PR really in helping to establish your brand?
- How can you come up with angles/newsworthy ideas that will attract media attention?
- What are some tips for leveraging social media for buzz?
Meryl Cooper, Co-Author, Be Your Own Best Publicist, Best Publicist LLC