To address the growing mental health crisis for adolescents, especially teens of color, we need to mitigate the harm from white supremacy assumptions that are built into most SEL programs and replace these programs with wellness with social justice at its core. Girls Leadership and Student Leadership Network will share their curriculum development process, based in Libratory Design, which interrupts the power dynamic of teacher and student to empower students as designers of justice-based SEL.
Other Resources / Information
- Participants will understand how traditional SEL harms youth by not naming the systemic injustices that perpetuate collective and individual trauma.
- Participants will learn about Liberatory Design and how it interrupts the power imbalance of designer/user to give power to the most marginalized.
- Participants will practice the mindsets and steps in Liberatory Design, creating an actionable toolkit to take back to reexamine their SEL approach.
- Kendra Carr, Chief Program Officer, Girls Leadership
- Yahaira Gil Maestro, Director, The Young Women's Leadership Schools Girls' Education National Team, Student Leadership Network
- Cassandra Brown, NY Programs Manager, Girls Leadership
Simone Marean, co-CEO, Girls Leadership
SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.