Only 15 out of 100 Black students nationwide read proficiently, and only 13 out of 100 perform proficiently in math. Instead of just recruiting Black and Brown individuals to work for district schools, let's also promote education entrepreneurship and empower more Black people to found schools. Come learn from education entrepreneurs about their journey to launch schools, the history of Black-owned schools, and how even more people can undertake this venture because #BlackMindsMatter.
Additional Supporting Materials
- Understand the history of Black owned schools: from Enslavement, Reconstruction, Civil Rights, Black Nationalism to the present
- Equity through education entrepreneurship: the fastest and most equitable way to give Black students access to a quality education.
- Learn from industry leaders - feel their passion to provide Black students with access to a quality education.
- Denisha Merriweather, Director of Public Relations and Content Marketing, American Federation for Children
- Dr. Howard Fuller, Former Professor at Marquette University and Founder of the Dr. Howard Fuller Collegiate Academy, Dr. Howard Fuller Collegiate Academy
- Dr. Steve Perry, educator, bestselling author, and the Founder and Head of Schools, Capital Preparatory Schools, Capital Preparatory Schools
- Janelle Wood, Founder/ CEO, Black Mother's Forum
Denisha Merriweather, Director Of Public Relations And Content Marketing And Founder Of Black Minds Matter, American Federation for Children
SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.