A Deeper Diversity: Representation vs. Tokenism
Over the past few years, diversity and inclusion have come far — but there’s room for improvement. In an attempt at representing minority groups, advertising often falls into tokenism. It becomes more about checking boxes and appearing diverse than actually being diverse. Our panel focuses on recognizing the nuances of what it means to be successfully diverse and inclusive in advertising, and how to achieve authentic representation of many backgrounds without stereotyping. Each speaker will share their experiences and discuss tactical methods to step up genuine inclusion within the industry.
Other Resources / Information
- Diversity in advertising sometimes veers into an inauthentic space. As an industry, we need to take diversity and inclusion beyond the trend.
- Diversity is more than age, race, gender, or sexual orientation. To be truly diverse and inclusive in advertising, we have to recognize the nuances.
- Shifting how we approach diversity and inclusion and developing practical methods to ensure authentic representation of all backgrounds.
- Virginia Magaletta, Creative Director, Heat/Deloitte Digital
- Rebecca Wang, Copywriter, Heat
- Remo Colindres, Art Director, Heat
Becca Ramble, General Manager, Deloitte Digital
SXSW reserves the right to restrict access to or availability of comments related to PanelPicker proposals that it considers objectionable.