Cast Your VoteSign in to vote
Importance of Standards in the Global & Political Debate
From 5G to emojis, standards enable every device and technology to work for the benefit of consumers across the globe. They are why your USB memory stick fits into any USB port every time, your favorite emoji is the same across platforms, your cell is able to connect calls, and your laptop can connect to Wi-Fi worldwide. U.S. tech companies are often the leaders in international standards work, contributing proposals that are ultimately adopted globally because they are the best suited for the current technology and consumer needs. But the race for leadership in tech heats up in 5G and other areas, other nations are vying to drive the standards debate. Our experts will explain why standards are integral to leadership in innovation and what nations must do to ensure consumers needs are met.
Share this idea
- As the competition in technologies like 5G and AI intensify, standards are a fundamental factor.
- Failure to fully engage and lead in standards setting activities can put nations behind in tech leadership for decades.
- The US government must make standards setting a priority if it wants to remain a leader in innovation.
- Jason Oxman, President and CEO , ITI
- Mary Saunders, Vice President for Government Relations and Public Policy, American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
- Naomi Wilson, Senior Director of Policy, Asia , ITI
- Ajit Jillavenkatesa, Senior Policy Adviser – Standards and Digitalization, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) - US Department of Commerce
Ashley Berrang, Evp Of Public Affairs, ITI