2022 SXSW PanelPicker DatesEntry Process Opens: June 29 - July 22, 2021
Community Voting: August 10 - 26, 2021
"Community is such a big part of SXSW, which is why PanelPicker powers so much of the Conference programming each year. This interface enables us to connect with thousands of creative professionals, experienced experts and informed consumers from across the United States and around the world. Moreover, PanelPicker helps us identify the most innovative new ideas from this global community, thereby helping to keep SXSW exciting, timely and relevant."
– Hugh Forrest, SXSW Chief Programming Officer
The SXSW PanelPicker is a two-step online process that gives our attendees a significant voice in Conference programming (presentations, panels, workshops, etc.) for SXSW and SXSW EDU.
Step 1: Entries: SXSW calls on the community to enter proposals for conference sessions at all SXSW events.
Step 2: Voting: The voting period allows the community to browse proposals, leave comments, and vote for sessions they think would be a good fit for the 2022 event.
Technical issues? Email email@example.com.
The SXSW PanelPicker launched in 2007 to formalize an input process that has always been a vital part of the event.
Over the years, many of the most compelling sessions at SXSW have come directly from this process.
In 2017, SXSW unified our three conferences (Music, Film, and Interactive) under one umbrella. For 2022, we will continue in this direction to help create a more cohesive conference experience for our attendees, with more programming choices throughout the event.
The Application Process
During the open application process, we encourage everyone in the SXSW community to upload proposals for solo presentations, panels, book readings, workshops, and more. This application involves an easy-to-follow form that will walk you step by step through the entry process.
How Ideas are Selected: Voting + Staff + Advisory Board
While voting from the community is important, these totals are not the only factor in deciding SXSW programing. As illustrated by the graph below, the SXSW staff and Advisory Boards also inform a significant percentage in determining the content lineup.
The input of the SXSW staff and Advisory Boards helps ensure that less well-known voices have as much of a chance as being selected to speak at SXSW as individuals with large online followings.
The Selection Process
Community Voting: 30%
Who knows what you want to see at SXSW better than you? Your input is very important in terms of shaping the look and feel of the 2022 event.
SXSW Advisory Board: 40%
Groups of industry experts from around the world, the SXSW Advisory Board and the SXSW EDU Advisory Board provide significant feedback on all proposals.
SXSW Staff: 30%
With years of experience programming the events, SXSW staffers work to fill any gaps in relevant subject matter, striking a balance between new and veteran speakers.
With so many high-quality entries, proposals have need to stand out to make it through the selection process.
Tips for Success
Browse tips for creating a successful proposal below and stay tuned to SXSW News for more PanelPicker information and updates.
- Follow the instructions and read the PanelPicker FAQ for important information about SXSW and valuable tips for creating a great proposal.
- Create a future-focused, original proposal that shows what you’re passionate about.
- Depth and specificity – the more specific a proposal is, the better. Drill down to what really matters.
- Your title should reflect your description — think simple, accurate, and succinct. Tip: Avoid all CAPS or all lowercase in your title.
- Diversity matters — all panels (3-4 person sessions) must include diversity in gender, race, location, and employment of speakers, as well as diversity in thought and opinion.
- Include a video with your proposal. Your speaking abilities matter and we’d like to see them. No fancy production required.
- Proofread, proofread, proofread.
- You will not be able to make any edits once you have clicked “Enter My Proposal.” Be sure you have reviewed your proposal carefully.
- Meet the July 19 deadline!
Fully-proofed, narrowly-focused, forward-thinking ideas that emphasize creativity and innovation will have the best chance of successfully navigating SXSW community voting, staff analysis and Advisory Board feedback. As above, we strongly strongly encourage you to read the FAQ for helpful tips on creating a winning proposal.
HOTEL INFORMATION FOR SPEAKERS
If you are selected as SXSW speaker, you have access to a limited number of rooms being protected for participants through SXSW Housing & Travel. Rooms are limited to one per registrant and will sell out fast so be sure to make your hotel reservation as soon as you are registered. Requests can be completed in your Shopping Cart or SXSW Social account. In the meantime, check out SXSW Housing & Travel for more information about our hotels, pricing, reservation policies, and travel information.