How to Build a 21st Century Citizen
Effective 21st century citizenship requires more than volunteering for a day or voting in elections, it requires social awareness, relationship skills and responsible decision-making to support sustained civic engagement. YMCA Texas Youth & Government Program and the University of Texas’s Annette Strauss Institute share how their curricula create 21st Century citizens through hands-on civic learning. Hear from student participants as they discuss their transformative experience in the program.
- Provide educators with resources and tools to implement experiential civic learning.
- Share impact and outcomes of civic education programs that students and schools are utilizing across the state.
- Deepen understanding of the importance to engage students early in civic learning to develop leadership skills essential to participatory democracy.
- Angela Castilleja, YMCA Texas Youth and Government State Director, YMCA of Austin
- Korrine Young, Program Coordinator, K-12 Educational Outreach, Annette Strauss Institute for Civic Life
- Student Speaker Participant, Student Participant, Texas Youth and Government
- Student Speaker Participant, Student, Annette Strauss Institute
Angela Castilleja, YMCA Texas Youth & Government State Dir, YMCA of Austin
Show me another