Women of Color Film Critics and Representation
Diversity and inclusion are two buzzwords in media today. "Where are all the women film critics?" is an obligatory inquiry that ignores women of color. The topic of diversity has become pervasive yet white critics attempt to consume a discussion about something that is so inherently not about them. And they, like so many white publicists, don't consider (or are intimidated) by people of color influencers. This panel will examine why, and amplify the voices and experiences of women of color.
- How has social media affected the role women of color play in online journalism?
- How do you navigate the perspectives from gatekeepers in media and pop culture criticism, predominantly white men?
- How do we move toward a more intersectional feminist discussion of pop culture and film?
- Candice Frederick, Freelance Writer, Various/Reel Talk Online
- Jamie Broadnax, Founder, Black Girl Nerds
- Valerie Complex, Writer, Black Girl Nerds
Candice Frederick, Freelance Writer/Blogger, Reel Talk Online
Show me another