Principles of Pop/Rock Record Making: Songwriting
Moderator: Howard Benson
(Daughtry, Kelly Clarkson, Bon Jovi, All-American Rejects, Santana, My Chemical Romance, Three Days Grace, Hoobastank, Theory Of A Deadman, Flyleaf, P.O.D., Seether, Halestorm, 3 Doors Down)
Another 1 or 2 record producers (Howard's peers in Pop and Rock production)
2-3 Major Label A&R people (likely heads of A&R and/or Senior VP's with whom Howard regularly works)
2-3 songwriters (name songwriters likely with whom Howard regularly calls upon)
Multi-platinum Grammy Nominated Record Producer, Howard Benson, talks with his panel of peers about the importance of songwriting in order to achieve success with Pop and Rock bands. Howard will discuss a concept he regularly employs, which he calls "Directed Writing" which aids the artist/band and songwriter in the process. They'll discuss how lyrics, melody and song structure often make the difference in achieving a "hit" and how small changes can have BIG effects on the song.
- How do I get my songs to the people who are choosing cuts?
- How do I know exactly what they're looking for so I'm not spinning my wheels as a songwriter?
- What is the relationship between songwriters and A&R executives, producers, artists and managers? A lot of A&R execs and producers manage their own writers now, but is that good or bad for business?
- What are the financial implications of co-writing, and artist splits in publishing?
- What does the panel consider to be the most important elements in choosing a hit song?
- Pete Ganbarg Atlantic Records
- Jeff Sosnow Warner Bros Records
- Greg Wells Rocket Carousel Studio
- Kara Dioguardi Arthouse Entertainment
Howard Benson Howard Benson Productions
Show me another