Confessions of a Community Moderator
Back by popular demand, we bring you Community Confessions. Double agent. First Responder. Cheerleader. They’re all fair descriptors of the now prevalent role of Community Manager. Whether you are one yourself or just morbidly curious about “the man behind the curtain,” you know there are incredible stories from those who have the rare opportunity to interact with both the brand and the customers. No matter how much they love their communities, moderators have their fair share of “I can’t believe this is happening” moments. All in real time. Returning for the second year, we’re here to confirm you are not alone. With moderators from Hard Rock, Betty Crocker and Jim Beam, we'll come together to share, commiserate and learn about the latest and greatest best practices in technology, fan management, governance and more from those representing a diverse array of brands. Come for the vent session; stay for the camaraderie and tips for staying sane.
Additional Supporting Materials
- Technology changes every day, making this job something you have to learn on the fly. What recent updates and changes have thrown a wrench into the works for your community?
- When did a fan seem to have an agenda to ruin you? What did they do to monopolize the community and turn the tides against you?
- On the flip side, when have fans gone above and beyond to advocate for you and your brand? What are some exceptional stories of fandom?
- Are increasing privacy concerns and legislation leading to changes in the makeup of your communities? Is it changing the way you need to interact?
- Community Managers tend to have very varied backgrounds. What skills and experience have been most useful in your time managing communities? Is it crisis management and PR? Brand management? Design and development?
- Alison Fraker, Associate Social Planner, Critical Mass
- Kristin Rupert, Social Media Manager, Imagine Publishing
- Lizz Kannenberg, Director of Social Strategy, Walter Isaacson
- Kim Matlock, Sr Director, Digital & Consumer Related Marketing, Hard Rock International
Alison Fraker, Associate Social Planner, Critical Mass
Show me another