Word Curation: Dictionaries, Tech, and the Future
Are emoji words? Should "Pokémon," "genderqueer," or "Brexit" be added to the dictionary? What word best sums up 2016? Lexicography is a venerable profession that's changed a lot with new technology: now we can crowdfund a million new free-range definitions, find the exact person who first tweeted a new word, and see in real time which words people are looking up and why.
Join this panel of linguistic decision-makers for a behind-the-scenes look into how a new word makes it into the dictionary, where Words of the Year come from, how dictionaries use social media to engage the public, and more.
Additional Supporting Materials
- What makes a word "official?"
- What do new words and user lookup data tell us about our society?
- How do dictionaries stay agile in a world where slang can catch on in a day and fall into obscurity just as quickly?
- Gretchen McCulloch, All Things Linguistic
- Ben Zimmer, Wall Street Journal
- Erin McKean, Wordnik
- Jane Solomon, Dictionary.com
Nikki Neumann, Sr Account Exec, Dotted Line Communications
Show me another