The New Health Paradigm: Radical Transparency
Of all the radical ideas to hit the health care marketplace perhaps the most radical of all is...transparency. Imagine, a system where you own and control your own health data, where you can make an appointment with your doctor from your smartphone and find out exactly how much she will charge for the visit, where public and private data is “mashed up” to create mobile solutions to common health problems. Spend an hour with Aetna Chairman, CEO and President Mark T. Bertolini, and Tim O'Reilly, the founder and CEO of O'Reilly Media, Inc., and you’ll learn why they passionately believe the intelligent sharing of data among patients, providers, payers and communities is critical to solving the nation’s healthcare quality and cost challenges. The two will also share specific examples of transparency initiatives that are helping to create a health care system that is simpler, easier to use and increasingly relevant to consumers.
- What systemic and technologic hurdles do we need to overcome to achieve radical transparency?
- With a focus on transparency, what benefits will consumers, providers, payers and the community enjoy, and how will they improve the healthcare system?
- What role does each stakeholder--patient, provider, payer--have in this system change?
- How will transparency help solve the nation's healthcare quality and cost challenges?
- What examples are showing great potential for the future?
Carissa Caramanis O'Brien Aetna