Hack PD XXL: Taking On The Annual Conference Model
Teacher professional development has come a long way - we've incorporated social media, started grassroots unconferences, and found success in responsive, intimate workshops. But nothing can replace the large-scale, international conference as a venue for connection and inspiration.
Yet, these massive conferences present a critical unsolved problem of how to provide deep and complex learning opportunities of the type that we strive to offer our students. What constraints and assumptions can we challenge about what a conference looks, feels, and sounds like? How might we disrupt the massive conference model, keeping the scale and broad connection while deepening participant learning?
- Identify and analyze your assumptions about the massive annual conference model of PD, and reconsider those assumptions.
- Identify and analyze different participant groups’ needs from the annual conference model and ideate wildly on how those needs might be met.
- Prototype an innovative new structure for the annual conference model.
- Margaret Powers, Agnes Irwin School
- Lindsey Own, The Evergreen School
- Matt Mineau, Appleton Area School District
Margaret Powers, MS/US Dir of STEAM Innovation, The Agnes Irwin School
Show me another