Progress & Tech in the Middle East: Friend or Foe?
There have been many attempts to emulate Silicon Valley, but this year we’ll see a tech mecca spring up in an unlikely place: the Middle East. Brilliant entrepreneurs pack up their lives and move to San Francisco in pursuit of its “secret sauce,” but the recipe does not always lie in Silicon Valley. The Middle East is becoming a popular place to turn startups into Fortune 500 companies. Middle Eastern entrepreneurs have created innovative companies – an app gamifying prayer and a panoramic photo app creating a Zen-like experience for users – that are bringing wealth and prestige back to their countries. One company, PITME ("Progress in Technology Middle East"), is fostering this movement by finding and motivating strong companies with product and traction that are ready for global markets. PITME has a lot to share about the inventions and business ventures taking place in the Middle East and will provide insight into why/how it will be the location of the next tech boom.
- How do communities in the Middle East drive technological innovations? What has ignited these communities to create such ground-breaking technologies and aim at driving growth in their technology sectors?
- What are a few examples of tech companies and/or entrepreneurs that have inspired the Middle East to become the next "tech hub?" Why do these specific examples stand out above the rest?
- How can entrepreneurs, companies, VCs, etc. help drive a broader, more innovative tech landscape in countries outside of the United States? Are there any key elements, values or visions that entrepreneurs and start-ups from the Middle East follow that ensure success and moral?
- Why focus on the Middle East? What is it about this region/location that will make it a promising place for the tech industry? How does it differ than other places in the world (i.e. Asia, Africa, US, ect.)?
- There are a number of startups and companies in the United States that need recognition, help and funding so why not focus on local first and then expand aid elsewhere? Are there any key examples that stand-out as to why the Middle East will flourish faster in innovation and ground-breaking technology than our other local startups?
- Nima Adelkhani PITME
Alyssa Uchi Inner Circle Labs