Parsing Reality: Shaping Play with Connected Stuff
This panel will explore how our actual lives and everyday stuff are becoming the most interesting platform for gaming. We'll discuss, from different perspectives, the ways games are shaping our experience of a new blended digital subjective/object space. Portables, wearables, and connected stuff mean bits and networks are everywhere we go, giving us the possibility of a new deep awareness of our personal state. As Will Wright says, "we are at a turning point for mobile gaming, a shift for games from being about simulating reality to being about parsing reality." Sensors everywhere and advances like bluetooth smart are turning everyday objects into an opportunity for play. The future of our playful sociality is "toys" that are a customization of our interactions with the actual world and everyday life. This panel will explore how games, robots, and playful experiences are the key to making our new habitat of digital/physical complexity more accessible and fun.
Additional Supporting Materials
- How can we transform this new personal awareness and everyday experiences into an opportunity for play? What are the specific experiences of panel members in rising to this challenge?
- The iphone and ipad are becoming the narrative and play control center for connected stuff. Desktop, files, folders, trashcans and lists were key metaphors that made the PC the master control center for sharing of information. What are the new metaphors for a Game OS for everyday life and connected stuff?
- How is next generation connectivity like bluetooth smart going to change our attitudes to the playful potentials of toys and physical stuff? We'll show some examples of what's out there today and what's coming soon.
- What can simulation games teach us about the challenges of parsing reality and making it more playful and interesting? We'll explore how this new paradigm has transformed game design while introducing new game mechanics along with interesting technical challenges.
- What are the challenges for startups wanting to make apps / products for a connected playful digital/physical world? Our panelists have all experienced this first-hand and will share their stories as well as answer questions from the crowd.
- Tish Shute Stupid Fun Club, Inc.
- Dave Bisceglia The Tap Lab
- Phu Nguyen Romotive, Inc
- Adam Wilson Orbotix
Tish Shute Stupid Fun Club, Inc.
Show me another