Using Social Media to Turn Compassion into Action
In the last two years, “Hashtag Activism” has helped raise global awareness around pivotal social and political issues. From #BringBackOurGirls and #GamerGate to #JeSuisCharlie and #BlackLivesMatter, these rally cries from global citizens have served as a catalyst for change in some instances. However, digital activism often falls short, reducing serious issues to just words, RTs and Facebook Likes. This panel will provide tools and tactics for how to effectively use social media to move beyond the words and take action for the cause.
Additional Supporting Materials
- How do you rise above the noise on social media and inspire potential followers to take real action -- donating time, money or resources?
- Once your online awareness campaign has gained traction, how do you translate that into spurring policy or legislative changes?
- What are some ways to combat the dark side that can come with pushing for global and social good, such backlash, trolls, fatigue, and overwhelm?
- Nicole Blades, Journalist, Blades Central
- Nailah Blades, Marketing Consultant, Wylie & Co.
- Heather Barmore, Writer/Blogger, Freelance
- Chrysula Winegar, Digital Communications Strategist , Wake Up World Communications
Nicole Blades, Journalist, Blades Central
Show me another