Versus: Sports Sonification and Visualization
Data visualizations, the artistic “beautifications” of data, and its quantification have become front and center in our lives. In our series Versus [VS], we take sports data and interpret them into visualized and sonified artistic works. VS 0.001 uses the data of a billiard match to create a real-time generative composition during gameplay. This generative composition is overlaid onto the natural noises of the game creating an augmented experience. In contrast, for VS 0.002 we use the data of American football, specifically Superbowls, and create a sculpture that represents the game data. The game dataset is distilled into a 3D print that portrays that game’s dynamics and outcomes.
Additional Supporting Materials
- Can a data visualization present information in a new format that makes it easier to understand?
- What sort of sculpture can data make?
- What sort of music can be made from data?
- Markus Vogl, Assistant Professor, University of Akron
- Margarita Benitez, Fashion Technologist + Assistant Professor, Kent State University
Markus Vogl, Asst Professor, University of Akron
Show me another