UK 101: How to break your band in the UK
Everything you should know about the UK music market, one of the most influential, creative and fast-changing musical environments in the world. We'll suggest practical ideas for developing your act in the UK.
Success in the UK punches above its weight in terms of influence worldwide and breaking through here can often lead to success in Europe and worldwide. This session will give you an insight into the idiosyncrasies of the UK market and how acts like Adele, The XX, Mumford and Sons and Ellie Goulding have all used their base in the UK as an incubator before going global.
Experienced music professionals will share case studies of what previously successful acts have done and how they’ve achieved what they have.
It will be an interactive panel – we’ll encourage participation and questions from the audience to make sure the discussion is relevant and the ideas generated are as practical as possible.
Additional Supporting Materials
- What are the first steps you should take when exporting an artist or band to the UK and how can you start building a buzz in another country?
- Who are the tastemakers you need to target during your campaign? Who are the gatekeepers you need to win over (radio stations, blogs, venues, people, magazines and websites)?
- How can you avoid mistakes others have made when promoting a band outside their home country? What worked in these professionals' experience?
- Where should I concentrate my resources to maximise my impact and PR/marketing return? What revenue streams exist in Europe that don't in the US?
- What partners are available for artists to work with in the UK/Europe? How can you identify the best ones? We’ll look at labels, promoters, agencies, funding sources and other possibilities.
- Jules Parker, Membership Development Consultant, PRS for Music
- Dumi Oburota, Owner/Manager, DL Records
- Jamie Lillywhite, Manager, Ellie Goulding, Turn First Artists
- Joanna Ashmore, Agent, International Talent Booking
- Simon Raymonde, Owner, Bella Union
Jules Parker, Membership Development Consultant, PRS for Music
Show me another