Breaking the Mold with Meaningful Design
Anyone can design a gadget that looks pretty, but when it comes down to building a successful product, it’s about so much more than just looks. Companies like Jawbone and Nest are disrupting categories by putting purpose behind their unrivaled, extraordinary designs. Every detail is calculated – every facet of the design is deliberately made in an effort to make the product even better (more efficient, accurate, reliable, durable, etc.) Hosain Rahman from Jawbone and Tony Fadell from Nest will discuss how good design is both beautiful and meaningful—with the ultimate goal of creating technology that naturally fits into your life, rather than changing your life to fit the technology. They’ll discuss design best practices including the importance of combining hardware with software; the role of simplicity in design; and how to “break the mold” by challenging the traditional rules of design.
- What is your design ethos, and how does this play into the products you manufacture?
- How do you balance design dreams with the reality of manufacturing?
- How does the design of your products affect the products themselves, in terms of functionality?
- What is the most important thing that you take into account when designing a new product?
- What is your favorite part about working on the design of a product, and what inspires great design?
Eva Babiak The OutCast Agency