Wild About You
Wild About You will examine the diverse music that has come from Australia and New Zealand over the past fifty years. What makes it different culturally and sonically. Whilst Australia and New Zealand are extremely close geographically their music creations are frequently very different. The panel will examine the global success of AC/DC, inxs, Gotye, Kylie Minogue, silverchair and others as well as constant cult favourites such as the Hoodoo Gurus, The Clean, The Chills, Divinyls,The Church, The Saints, and The Go Betweens. Then the panel will look at some of the massively successful bands from these countries who have made virtually no impression outside their own country. There will be a focus on what makes Australian and New Zealand different from that of other countries, how it has evolved, its key elements and the impact - both good and bad - of the comparative geographical isolation from the rest of the world. The panel will act as a primer on the music of these countries.
- What are the fundamental differences between the music that comes from Australia and New Zealand given their comparative closeness geographically? Is it possible to hear a discernible difference between - say - a band from Sydney and a band from Auckland?
- What have been the key components that have led to the international success of certain artists from Australia and New Zealand? Why were silverchair - for instance - so internationally successful whilst a band like Powderfinger who were massively successful in Australia and New Zealand unable to make a dent internationally?
- Being located comparatively remotely from the rest of the world what key influences come to bear on the music of Australia and New Zealand? Is pat of its charm and attraction the result of assimilating influences from all around the globe.
- How did the music industries in Australia and New Zealand evolve? Who were the pioneers? What have been the Golden eras? And the not so Golden ones? How has the industry and its artists approached global marketing and promotion?
- What does the future hold? Who are the emerging talents from Australia and New Zealand? What are the predominate styles? Will we see more music from both countries on the international arena?
- Stuart Coupe, Director, Laughing Outlaw Records & Management
Stuart Coupe, Director, Laughing Outlaw Records & Management
Show me another