Meaning of Mobile: An Anthropological Approach
We know a lot about WHAT people are doing in the mobile space: when they use their phones, what activities they do with their phones, how many times a day they use their phones, etc. But what is missing in the marketplace is a deep understanding of the WHY the mobile space is so powerful. That is, what is the emotional relationship people truly have with the mobile space and how they make meaning there? To answer this, we conducted an anthropological study to gain a better understanding of how people feel about, relate to and find meaning in the mobile space. And ultimately we learned how brands can engage their consumers in more emotionally resonant and impactful ways.
- Why is the mobile space so powerful?
- What is the emotional relationship people have with the mobile space and how do they make meaning there?
- What is the symbolism of the small and how does it affect our relationship with and perception of smartphones?
- How does mobile help us make meaning out of our physical surroundings, the places that surround us?
- How can brands engage their consumers in more emotionally resonant and impactful ways in the mobile space?
- Jesse Haines, Head of Marketing, Mobile Ads, Google
- Abigail Posner, Head of Strategic Planning, Agency Development, Google
Samantha Nowak, Product Marketing Manager, Google
Show me another