Our Brain Didn't Account For Big Data. What Now?
Today we are confronted by a newfound tsunami of consumable, computable data – zettabytes of an unending assault of facts, opinions, posts, ads, graphs, memes, photos, and more.
But our brains and bodies were never designed to live in such an environment. The typical human mind has trouble remembering more than seven facts at a time. Most of us cannot do sophisticated regressions, statistics, and correlation analyses in our heads – yet, that is precisely what we must do to understand the flood of information at our fingertips. Evolutionarily speaking, it’s all too much. Two decades is not enough to rewire brains that took millions of years to develop. So what are we to do?
Arnab Gupta, CEO of Opera Solutions, will argue that the answer lies in partnering with machines in new and powerful ways. Expanding on the themes he raised in his 2012 SXSW presentation, Gupta will explore cutting-edge trends in research, science, and business to bring the man/machine partnership to life.
Additional Supporting Materials
- Why the combination of Man + Machine is essential in today’s world – and how it is already solving some of the world’s thorniest problems in science, healthcare, government, and business
- What a “Man + Machine” world could look like, and what we can expect in the near future as boundaries between humans and machines become more permeable
- How this pushes machines’ boundaries as well as our own – making them more intelligent, expanding on the types of problems they can solve, and training them to move from a static “display of data” to dynamic “recommended actions”
- The fruitful interface between cognitive psychology, neurobiology, and user experience design – how what we know about human perception, learning, and decision-making is being reflected in the ways that humans and machines can, and will, interact and partner with each other
- How scientists and others are using new techniques, such as gamification and crowd-sourcing, to push human accomplishments to new heights
- Arnab Gupta, CEO, Opera Solutions
Shahed Ahmed, Vice President, Opera Solutions
Show me another