Wearables: Moving From Niche To Mainstream
Wearables like the Nike Fuelband are proliferating in the health and fitness space. New devices, such as Google Glass, will break into other verticals, including social networking, navigation, and commerce. But wearables without software are just geeky hardware. The big five software platforms -- Apple, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and Facebook -- and their developer communities hold the key connection to the consumer. The pivot point for wearables will be when developers create experiences that treat wearables as their own unique form factor—not as a second screen for smartphones.
Additional Supporting Materials
- What are the uses for wearables?
- How fast will the market grow?
- What are the barriers to adoption?
- Which platforms will dominate in wearables?
- What will be the key success factors for wearables?
- Sarah Rotman Epps Forrester Research
Sarah Rotman Epps Forrester Research