Saving Wildlife, One Condom at a Time
What do condoms have to do with endangered species? A lot.Every day, we add 227,000 people to the planet. And every day, dozens of wildlife species go extinct. Human population growth, along with our reckless overconsumption, is at the root of our most pressing environmental issues from the extinction crisis to climate change. Yet population and how to slow growth is often left out of conversations among environmental activists and the media. This is the next generation of the movement, one that connects population growth to other defining issues of our age -- including human rights, climate change and sustainability. This panel will discuss the importance of bringing population and sustainability back to the forefront of environmental advocacy; the movement's connection to social justice and reproductive rights; and how to use creativity (and condoms!) to get beyond the stigma and awkwardness to start the conversation about why we all need to bring endangered species into the bedroom.
Additional Supporting Materials
- If population growth is such a critical issue, why aren't more environmental groups talking about it?
- Can we really solve the population problem (and can we do it while protecting human rights)?
- Population vs. Overconsumption: What's really to blame?
- How do we get beyond the stigma to get people talking about population and sustainability?
- Stephanie Feldstein Center for Biological Diversity
- Taralynn Reynolds Center for Biological Diversity
Stephanie Feldstein Center for Biological Diversity
Show me another