Memes w/ Meaning: Why We Love Crazy Gifs & Videos
Last year, we spent the equivalent of 1 million years watching cat videos online, uploaded ½ million different versions of Harlem Shake and took more pictures of what we ate for dinner last night than who we ate dinner with. Are we dumber than ever or is there something else going on? We say yes! This phenomenon isn’t a sign of an intellectual void in our culture. As our anthropological study of the visual web -- pictures, gifs, videos -- shows us, it’s evidence of something very deep, powerful, and dare we say, uplifting. By understanding and harnessing all this meaning we imbue in the visual web, we can create the kind of captivating content people crave, share and consume.
Video YT Rewind 2012: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCkYw3cRwLo
Additional Supporting Materials
- What is driving people's fascination with static and moving imagery on the web?
- Why is YouTube such a cultural phenomenon?
- What can I learn from silly animal gifs, baby pics and music videos to help create more meaningful content?
- How can we be more creative and famous in the digital space?
- How does anthropology explain why we share what we do?
- Abigail Posner Google
Abigail Posner Google
Show me another