Why Startups Need Diversity of Thought: Innovation
Technology is transforming the way we live, and networks are more innovative overall; yet the entrepreneurs and startups driving innovation are lacking diversity of background, race, gender, and age. The startup culture can often be an exclusive environment. Startups that primarily create for people like themselves are missing out on ideas and opportunities. Clearly, we need more entrepreneurs and startup founders from different backgrounds – but how do we get there? What are real steps that can be taken to make the startup world more diverse?
Hosted by The ADVERTISING Club of New York, this session will bring together startups and diversity experts to share insights on why diverse talent generates better creative thinking and innovation, how to make diversity a priority in the startup culture, and best practices for startup founders to increase their workforce diversity.
Additional Supporting Materials
- What factors and challenges contribute to the lack of diversity of thought and background in the startup and VC community?
- How can these communities become more diverse and how can we encourage more diverse people across different race, gender, culture, background and age to found and join startups?
- How can companies optimize their status quo to recruit and retain more diverse candidates?
- What type of company environment and culture should be fostered in order to attract diverse talent, and ensure diversity of thought?
- What type of access, education, mentorship and community programs can be put in place to help increase diversity in startups?
- Gina Grillo The ADVERTISING Club of New York
- Kimberly Bryant Black Girls CODE
- Neal Ungerleider Fast Company Magazine
- Edward Avila Manos Accelorator
Gina Grillo The ADVERTISING Club of New York
Show me another