Web Apprenticeships: How & Why We Do Them
The web industry needs to grow talent—not just consume it.
For the would-be web developer, getting started in the trade can be an intimidating process. The traditional education system has been unable to keep pace with innovation, leaving interested coders on their own to learn. For the employer, finding hands equipped and ready to contribute to a team is an equally painstaking process due to a shallow and scattered talent pool.
An apprenticeship framework is a great solution for both problems. At Sparkbox, we’re resurrecting this ancient practice, retrofitting it for our fast-moving industry, and we're eager to share the things we've learned on the journey so far.
Additional Supporting Materials
- Why do we believe in apprenticeships? We'll cover why we believe they’re vital for a more balanced, equipped, and diverse web industry. We'll also discuss why they work and what is unique to apprenticeships that no other form of training can provide.
- What is an apprenticeship? We’ll discuss how it differs from an internship, online coursework, classroom learning, and other common forms of education and training.
- How does Sparkbox conduct web developer apprenticeships? We'll share details of our evolving material, planning, and investment in the program.
- What is the experience like for apprentices? You'll hear an honest, open account from one of our former apprentices.
- What have we learned as we've developed our apprenticeship program? We want to invite, equip, and encourage others to develop similar programs.
Drew Clemens Sparkbox
Show me another