From Stranger to Lover in One Swipe
We’re suddenly living in a reality where it’s not unusual to have your phone facilitate your first conversation with a potential mate, friend or business partner. As mobile technology and apps evolve at a seemingly frenetic pace, we expect instant gratification when it comes to accessing new information and new people. This discussion will tackle the new norms of meeting people online and on our devices, diving into the lifecycle of a social connection – from the signup process to the initial connection and through the meeting stage – every move matters. We’ll explore the longer-term vision for connecting new people through technology and the opportunities and inherent limitations associated with using algorithms to introduce real people. We will also look at how actual people are using these people-matching apps (e.g. on the weekend, in bars, on the go), lessons learned from successes and failures in the space and make predictions on future trends for forging social connections.
Additional Supporting Materials
- There are endless social connection sites and apps out there but what are their differences? Who will stay in the game and who will fall behind? And will we see more players entering the market over time? What can we learn from those who have succeeded and failed in the space already?
- How will social connections evolve over time? Will social connections extend beyond mobile? What other devices (Google Glass, Google contacts, chips, etc.) should we expect to see social connections happening on in the future and why?
- What is the difference in the social stigma between meeting in person, meeting online and meeting via a device? Who are the companies that have risen above this social stigma and what factors make them acceptable with users? Are there generational differences that impact the stigma?
- Technology gives us the opportunity to meet new people, but is it making us less personal? When should technology end and human nature set in when it comes to making friendships or romantic connections?
- What are the concerns with forging new social connections? What can you do to ensure you’re not being spammed and your safety isn’t at risk? And what can companies do to ensure this level of privacy?
Jessica Gross Inner Circle Labs
Show me another