Disintegration of the World - the Business of APIs
The current global economy is assembled with corporations as primitive units. These foundational building blocks are monolithic structures that contain a full stack of internally facing services to produce their end products (eg. design, distribution, manufacturing). The future, as evidenced by Amazon, will be the compartmentalization of core internal infrastructure (eg. compute in Amazon' case) served via APIs to 3rd parties, including, notably, competitors. the process of understanding what is "core", properly packaging, and then managing these internal services for the global economy is one of the single largest opportunities of the coming decade. As this process spins up, we will see a complete dis-integration of the notion of the corporation and in it's place will be a global web-based economy where goods and services are created on the fly using hundreds, if not thousands, of API endpoints to create and distribute the goods of the future.
Additional Supporting Materials
- War, colonization, subsidiaries, franchisees, APIs. How are economics evolving to drive out the inefficiencies of supply chain integration?
- How do we transform competitors into customers and is this windfall of becomming an API based business?
- How does API dependencies on 3rd parties increases risk?
- How do we mitigate risks, security, & single points of failure when relationships are based on APIs?
- Can we define a global economy based on web services and if so what is the lifecycle of becoming an API based business?
Lev Walkin Echo
Show me another