The Narrative Debate in Game Design
The debate surrounding narratives in games generally centers around player agency and interactivity. Some believe narratives enrich games, while others wish for purely system-based experiences. What is the future of narratives in games given a lack of writing quality and seemingly growing desire for games that only focus on moment-to-moment player agency? How can game narratives thrive into the next generation of games and players?
Examples of Narrative-Based Games: Twine Games, Bioshock Infinite, Bastion, Kentucky Route Zero
Examples of System-Based Games: DOTA 2, Minecraft, Rouge Legacy, Mercenary Kings, Nidhogg
The panel will consist of a moderator, pro-narrative, pro-mechanical, and pro-games person. Not all panelists listed are confirmed, but they are indicative of the final balance of conversation this panel aims to meet.
Additional Supporting Materials
- What is the importance of narrative in game design and end-user experience?
- What is the importance of system-based experiences in game design and end-user experience?
- Is one (narrative or mechanics) inherently more important to game design and end-user experience?
- Why has there been a shift from narrative based gaming to more system based gaming in recent years?
- How can game narratives thrive into the next generation of games and players?
Shelley Smith Minicore Studios
Show me another