Let's Get Physical: Design + Embodied Cognition
Quips like, “that’s over my head”, “her looks could kill” or “he’s cold-hearted” reveal deep connections between our physical senses and our emotional experiences. Today scientists are discovering new truths about visceral understanding through language metaphors. Drawing on recent university studies and real world examples, IDEO Creative Director, Michael Hendrix, will give an entertaining presentation on how this offbeat, emerging science of embodied cognition applies to designers. He'll share how our bodies and minds are not separate, but unified and dependent, shaping our thoughts and experiences, and how this knowledge can help designers reignite their intuition and creativity to design better human experiences.
Additional Supporting Materials
- Are there universal design principles?
- If we have discovered universal design principles how will they be used by industry? Will marketers use them to manipulate us? Will designers use them to make more effective and meaningful experiences for us?
- How can I apply embodied cognition to my everyday work experience?
- What evidence is there for embodied cognition, a root of this theory of universal design principles?
- Why are some designs good and others bad? What makes one design better than another?
- Michael Hendrix IDEO
Michael Hendrix IDEO
Show me another