The International Space Orchestra
Nelly Ben Hayoun is Designer of Experiences at the SETI Institute. In the summer 2012, Ben Hayoun recruited space scientists and engineers to perform a literal "space opera". Nelly explains her methods and results, and shows off some highlights from this cosmic-sized work of design-fiction performance.
The International Space Orchestra (ISO) is a team of space scientists from the NASA Ames Research Center, the SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Life) Institute, Singularity University and the International Space University. In the summer of 2012 in California, ISO performed Ground Control: An Opera in Space composed by a team including Damon Albarn, Bobby Womack, Arthur Jeffes, Maywa Denki, and two-time Grammy award winner Evan Price, with a libretto by science- fiction author Bruce Sterling and Jasmina Tesanovic.
International Space Orchestra's first performance took place in front of the world's l
Additional Supporting Materials
- What is the International Space Orchestra? Why is there an International Space Orchestra? What are the aims of the project? How can you be part of it?
- How does one create a space opera? How do you assemble the talents and find the facilities for live performances, recording, and film? Ground Control was recorded at Skywalker Ranch, George Lucas' studio, where Star Wars was developed. The International Space Orchestra record is to be sent in space on 5th August 2013 on a satellite ran by the company Nanosatisfi.
- How do design fiction and interaction design work in the context of major scientific projects?
- Who are the scientists behind NASA famous missions . What about the Kepler search for extrasolar planets and the Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence? Get to learn about them through their passion for music.
- What comes next for Nelly Ben Hayoun? How is the astronaut training going?
- jasmina tesanovic, author, wordpress
- nelly Ben Hayoun, performance artist, royal college of art, london
Jasmina Tesanovic, author, wordpress
Show me another