Rhythm and the Brain
Rhythm is a dominant feature of the Universe, originating with the Big Bang.
It is everywhere, and is observable at every level; from the vibrations of atoms to the movement of the galaxies. Dr. Adam Gazzaley, UCSF Neuroscientist and Neurologist, and Mickey Hart, percussionist from the Grateful Dead, will take us on a fascinating tour of rhythm and its role in life and the very core of functioning of our brains. The presentation will conclude Dr. Gazzaley narrating a live audio/visual demonstration of Mickey's brain rhythms using real-time wireless EEG while his is performing.
Additional Supporting Materials
- How do rhythms express themselves in the cosmos, nature and our bodies?
- What are the rhythms of our brain and what is their function in our cognitive abilities?
- How has rhythm been used as a healer throughout history and across cultures?
- What do we know about rhythm as a healer from a neuroscience perspective?
- Can EEG be used to visualize and sonify neural rhythms in real-time in front of a live audience? Yes ; )
Adam Gazzaley UCSF
Show me another