DIY IP: Protect Yo Self, Don't Wreck Yo Self
Entrepreneurs want to focus on their business, not spend time worrying about legal issues. However, taking a little time early on to think about intellectual property strategy can save money and potentially much heartache down the road. This conversation between two practicing intellectual property lawyers will offer practical tips for entrepreneurs who want to do IP the right way the first time. Ruben and Andy will explain the basics of the major types of intellectual property protection; discuss how startups can leverage each type to develop a defensible IP strategy (“Protect Yo Self”); and detail some common but easily-avoided IP pitfalls (“Don’t Wreck Yo Self”).
- What are trademarks, copyrights, patents, and trade secrets, and more importantly, why should I care?
- What are some common IP-related mistakes, and how can I avoid making them?
- In general, what can I do myself, and when should I consult a lawyer?
- How should I prioritize where I spend my time and money on IP protection?
- I just got a mean letter from a lawyer--now what?
Andrew Liddell Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P.
Show me another