High on Hashtags
Dazed and confused, consumers and brands alike are trippin’ on hashtags. As one of the most iconic social symbols of our time, media campaigns are increasingly laced with hashtags to increase engagement while also inspiring branded social content. Outside of the obvious signs of being ‘under the influence,’ the act of hashtagging gleans invaluable data for brands to leverage in their advertising campaigns. Helping to identify and target interested audiences in real time, hashtags have helped major brands like Hyundai capitalize on social mentions, increase campaign performance and raise brand visibility.
Despite the fact that all the cool kids are doing it, is it time for hashtag rehab? This session will discuss the next progression of social advertising: hashtags in moderation. Brands will start using hashtags smarter and more strategically to cut through the noise and develop highly targeted media campaigns. Until then, the "potency" level of hashtags will be keep us inebriated.
Additional Supporting Materials
- Hashtags aren’t just for social conversations. With over 10 billion sharing events each month, hashtag targeting is one method that’s taking the guessing game out of advertising. Audiences will hear how a major brand like, Hyundai used hashtag targeting in their integrated media campaigns at key events like the Super Bowl and the Oscar’s. How did the use of hashtag targeting impact their brand affinity, campaign click-through-rates, video completion rates and overall social conversations?
- As the most common social gesture of our time, hashtags have a tendency to be overused by consumers and brands alike. In advertising, learning the most appropriate setting to use hashtags can turn into a big question mark for brands. This session will delve deeper into how brands can strategically and successfully incorporate hashtags into their media campaigns in order to effectively engage with consumers, without hindering the user experience.
- Social data is fundamentally changing how advertisers approach their media campaigns. With the proliferation of real-time social technologies, marketing has shifted away from traditional display towards how brands can harness “now” moments. Hashtags have become their #1 tool. From a brand’s perspective, hashtags provide an in-depth look into their consumers’ feelings, emotions and preferences. But timing is everything. How can advertisers capitalize on hashtags and strike when interest is hot?
- As major internet companies like Facebook introduce their own hashtag capabilities, many brands question the effectiveness of hashtags in influencing engagement. What these brands may not be considering is that each social network attracts a different type of consumer, which requires a different social approach. Here, we’ll discuss strategies for customizing hashtag usage across various social networks.
- What’s next? Social continues to be a key driver for innovation in the online advertising market. By 2014, global social network users will reach 71%, or 1.85 billion users. Along with social’s continued growth, online display advertising spend will grow at a compound annual growth rate of 17% in the United States between 2012 and 2017. Forward looking, what social technologies will be the next to peak brands’ interest?
- Gurbaksh Chahal RadiumOne
Bailey Fox Barokas Public Relations
Show me another