Co-Creating Reality : Future Documentary
This panel will change the way you make film – forever. Documentary tells the truth, or at least a truth; but what happens when documentary is co-created with the artists formerly known as the audience? What happens to editorial control when filmmakers work with audience as co-producers from the get go?
From fans of a mysterious masked Elvis to isolated Peruvian communities this panel, curated by REACT hub explores communities as co-creators within recent ‘Future Documentary’ productions. Leading UK filmmakers will discuss how they hold on to what’s great about documentary - it’s ability to elicit empathy, impart wisdom and inspire change - whilst exploring the new forms of engagement that are enabled by the internet, mobiles and changing audience behaviours. How to design for co-creation that gets beyond marketing? How to change the production process so that participation builds new kinds of media spaces not just markets for our films?
- How can we find suitable business models, distribution channels and presentation formats that enable audiences to participate and contribute?
- How do you acknowledge audience contribution financially when co-creating? Are micropayments a viable option?
- What happens to editorial integrity, voice, analysis or argument when the film is co created? Can auteurs and co-creators truly exist side by side?
- How do you tap into sub cultures of fandom and build communities around your film and what do you do with your community when the film is finished?
- What are the spillover benefits of co-creating with audiences in terms of distribution and exposure?
- Jeanie Finlay Glimmer Films
- Mandy Rose UWE (University of the West of England)
- Matt Golding Team Rubber
- Rosemarie Lerner Chaka Films
Matt Davenport Watershed
Show me another