Is It Too Late To Be Awesome?
In June 2013, I had a conversation with a friend about people I admire in the tech field. Included in those were Kevin Rose, Tim Ferriss, Dustin Curtis, etc. I got discouraged in my conversation and joked about it being too late too be awesome. I wrote a mind dump…er…blurb and it ended up being one of the top shared, and highly viewed (30,000+ views) on Medium (within 2 weeks!) It surprised me to learn that a lot of people were suffering from these issues.
“When you are content to be simply yourself and don’t compare or compete, everyone will respect you.”
― Tao Te Ching
Being authentic is important, and these poisons hold us back from creating, while connecting us to those in the world. We want to "make a difference", "make our mark", or "come alive", and the answer is inside of us. We are distracted by technology, information and perfectionism. When we learn to be ourselves, be patient, and how to be comfortable in our own skin, then – and only then – will we achieve true happiness.
- Do you find yourself constantly comparing yourself to others, and wondering when you will "make it"? Does this comparing make you feel like a chicken with your head cut off because you can't seem to find happiness in what you do?
- Is the world too distracting with all this information, technology, and constantly checking in? When does the "Quantified Self" become neurotic and limiting of actually living?
- Do you have something that you haven't accomplished, or didn't finish and beating yourself up about it? Are you afraid to even reach out to people about it in fear that they may "steal" your idea, or think you're crazy for coming up with something else?
- Are you too hard on yourself? Do you hear this often and wonder when life will be easy to allow yourself to get done the things you want to get done? Are you struggling in your current job/career, and even though you are accomplishing stuff, it just doesn't seem like enough?
- Do you think you're awesome?
Chanelle Henry Bluewolf
Show me another