Storytelling Devices in Interactive Documentary
Using real world examples from a sampling of interactive web-based documentaries, we will discuss the specific “Cinematic” and ”Digimatic” devices that makers of interactive documentary are employing to engage their viewers. We will discuss, very specifically, the devices that creators of these projects are building into their documentaries to keep their audiences engaged beyond the first blush of the flashy interface. Our big question is: Once you get past the interface, are people really engaging with the content of these projects in a meaningful way? We will consider ways that interactive filmmakers could more consciously exploit the unique aspects of the digital platform to engage their audiences.
Additional Supporting Materials
- What are the devices that traditional filmmakers use to engage their audience?
- What are the devices that are unique to the digital platform?
- Are documentaries currently being done in the digital domain really engaging their audience or are they just relying on the eye candy of a sexy Flash interface?
- How can we get the audience to stay past the opening hook?
- How can interactive filmmakers could more consciously exploit the unique aspects of the digital platform to engage their audiences?
- Karen Kocher, Producer, U.T. Austin
- Florian Thalhofer, Artist, Documentary Maker, Software Developer, Korsakow-Institut
Karen Kocher, Producer, U.T. Austin
Show me another