9 Dominant Tech Trends for the Next Decade
There are many trends in videogames and technology today that will influence and even dominate the next ten years. What happens when multiple trends collide to create heretofore-unknown results? For example imagine taking the options created by the explosive proliferation and evolution of interfaces (cameras, wearable tech, screen extenders, haptic touch, etc.) and mashing two or more of these into a completely new experience? Or what if we combined 3D Printing with the Digital Toys like Skylanders? Twenty-year veteran Starr Long selects nine of these trends and explores how they are already changing the way we make and consume games (and interactive content as a whole).
Additional Supporting Materials
- What happens when we combine digital toys, physical toys, user generated content, and a rising population of makers? Now: Digital toys, cheap 3D printers, Minecraft Future: Design your own weapon/armor for your toy, print it out, mount on your toy, scan back into game, modify the stats of the character. Then have a marketplace for these mods that would create a complete loop
- What is going to happen with the explosive proliferation and evolution of user interface and display technologies? Now: Haptic Touch (uses Coulomb's Law to simulate different feels of materials on touch screens), Illumiroom, Kinect, Google Glass, Digital Contact Lenses, etc. Future: Haptic touch could be used to turn your mobile device into a controller with buttons you can feel and/or touch feedback for gameplay (ex. Feel the brick out of place to open the secret door)
- Can games create new cognitive abilities? Now: Games like Portal and Perspective teach us to perceive space in fundamentally new ways Future: Games will allow us to expand our cognitive capacities in unknown ways. They will even be used by researchers to help prove and/or test difficult hypotheses and concepts
- Are we developing digital societies where we can have multiple meaningful identities? Now: MMO Guilds, avatars, social networks, virtual currency, cosplay, professional gaming Future: Increasingly people will form digital societies based around multiple meaningful identities and virtual currencies. This will require regulation and/or trigger a phase of self regulation
- What are some of the downsides of gamification proliferation? Now: Everyone from brands to education wants to gamify Future: Gamification will become increasingly intrusive and inappropriate to the point people will start spending on "gamification blockers"
- Starr Long Stellar Effect
Starr Long Stellar Effect
Show me another