Data to Go: Mobile API Design
You spent the last 6 months building your company’s first mobile app. You endured long hours at the office gathering requirements. You were up late drinking reheated coffee at 3am pushing pixels to perfect the app store icon. You tested the swipe animation so many times you have blisters on your thumb.
Then the day finally comes. You publish your app and excitedly check the reviews:
★☆☆☆☆ killz the battery - Uninstall
★★☆☆☆ Two stars. Two slow.
★☆☆☆☆ exposes contacts over network. INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK!
While the networking and data layer may not be the sexiest part of your application it is vitally important to the experience of your users. Inefficient and insecure mobile APIs can drain the battery, slow performance, and expose users to data and identity theft.
This talk introduces a set of 3 principles for good mobile API design that will speed up performance, enable better resource management, and improve the overall user experience of your next mobile app.
Additional Supporting Materials
- How does mobile API design impact user experience on mobile apps?
- How are mobile APIs different than traditional web APIs?
- Can a website and mobile application share a single API?
- How much data is too much when sent over the network to a mobile app?
- Why are mobile users so impatient? How should you design a mobile API with this fact in mind?
- Chuck Greb AWeber Communications
Chuck Greb AWeber Communications
Show me another